Super Apps in Ride Hailing Industry- How far it can go?
Coined by Blackberry founder Mike Lazaridis in 2010, the term ‘super apps’ is defined as a closed ecosystem of many apps that people would use every day for their seamless, contextualized, and integrated experience. Essentially, a Super app is an app-based marketplace where a company offers services through in-house technology and third-party integrations.
A famous example of a super app is Singapore-based Grab, a ride-hailing company with a considerable SEA region presence. From ride-hailing, Grab ventured into payments by investing in OVO, a popular payment platform in Indonesia. Currently, Grab offers a bouquet of services, including taxis, bikes, ride-hailing, three-wheelers, shared rides, package delivery, grocery delivery, restaurant delivery, lending services, and digital payments.
A super app is ideal for companies that offer a slew of services and products that are consolidated into one app. While the concept of a Super app originated in China and Southeast Asia, it has slowly become popular worldwide, with many tech giants hard at work to launch their very own super app.
The Super App Model
Generally, super apps operate at hyper-local delivery, logistics, e-commerce, payments, and social. Any Super app needs to be a combination of at least two of these functions, to begin with, and once users buy-in, the option to scale fast and offer multiple services to gain customer loyalty.
Once you have a stable collection of direct offerings, the next step is to open your app up to third party companies to sustain your user base. With a super app, you don’t have to spend time and resources to build a separate app for all your offerings. Instead, you can host all your services on a single super app. A real-world comparison would be the mall, where retailers across different verticals sell their products and services.
Why are Super Apps the Future?
Here are a few reasons why super apps are the future:
- Unparalleled Convenience: Would you rather have ten different apps for everything you need online or one app where you can have it all? The answer is obvious, and this clear choice makes super apps a great option, especially in the ride-hailing industry. Read more about supers apps in the ride-hailing industry in the next section.
- Space Saver: Every app that you install on your phone takes up a certain amount of space, and there’s only so much data you can store on your phone. With a Super app that can handle all your day-to-day needs, you don’t need to install multiple apps and use up your phone’s available space from ride-hailing to food delivery.
- Stand Out in a Crowd: There are millions of apps on your mobile app store, and finding the right one for each specific service you need can be a pain. With a super app, you don’t just get all the services and products you need in one nifty app and enjoy the trust that comes with having used one of their services before.
Super Apps in the Ride-Hailing Industry
In the current post-COVID world, the ride-hailing industry took a massive hit with people avoiding travel in general, along with the overarching fear of sitting on a cab used by other people. But any business is only as good as its ability to adapt to any challenge thrown its way quickly. For a ride-hailing company, a Super app is a way out from the COVID-19 pandemic. How? Read on to find out.
Adapt to Overcome
If you have a full-fledged ride-hailing business already set up, now is the time to venture into offering other on-demand services, food delivery, grocery delivery, and much more. By transitioning your business from just ride-hailing to other on-demand services, you can exponentially expand your customer base and increase your profits.
For instance, many popular super apps like Grab, GoJek, Momo, and more started as a ride-hailing business before venturing into other business verticals like food delivery, payments, ticket purchasing, on-demand video platform, and more.
Become Future Ready
If there’s one thing the COVID-19 pandemic has taught us, the future will always be uncertain. To protect your business from any potential challenges and come out stronger, expanding your offerings with the help of a Super app is the most viable solution. By not being limited to just ride-hailing, you can keep your business running even when the situation doesn’t allow people to book a cab on your app.
The COVID-19 pandemic has not been kind on many on-demand businesses, including ride-hailing services. If your taxi business has taken a hit because of the pandemic, expanding your offerings is a great way to make up for all the losses. With more offerings and an expanded customer base, you’ll eventually break even and start earning profits, given you run your business well.
Super Ride-Hailing Business With Jugnoo
Looking for ways to transition your ride-hailing business to other on-demand businesses with a Super app? Jugnoo can help. We offer customized SaaS products to help you create a transport business that can be used for many different verticals, including taxi, bike rental, carpooling, shuttle services, trucking service, and a taxi marketplace.
Jugnoo’s Super app offers end-to-end customized solutions to help you launch, manage, and operate your taxi marketplace efficiently. Some features that set us apart from the rest include:
- Our customizable android and iOS customer apps offer an effortless taxi booking experience to your customers with features like real-time tracking, integrated payment gateways, scheduled cab bookings, and more.
- A powerful dispatcher dashboard using which you can keep track of all taxi dispatch requests from a single dashboard.
- You can also accept or reject ride requests, view customer profiles, and respond to their queries from the dispatcher dashboard.
- An all-inclusive driver app using which drivers can control bookings with instant offers appearing on the app, manage and track their daily trips and earnings from the driver app, and do a lot more.
Partner with Jugnoo and transform your taxi business into an on-demand marketplace. Learn more about what we can do to help you make the switch by clicking here. Have questions about how we can help you set up a taxi-hailing business from scratch? Reach out to our technical experts right away!