Mobility as a Service – Future of on-demand transport
The fast-paced lives most people lead currently and the growing reliance on technology and the internet have fostered the concept of shared and rental transport. Buying or owning a vehicle doesn’t have the same value it did a couple of years back, and most people are more than willing to pay a nominal fee to rent a vehicle for their daily transportation needs. It has led to a substantial rise in on-demand vehicle rental services, also known as mobility as a service.
- Understanding Mobility as a Service
- Technology in Mobility
- The Mobility as a Service Problem Statement
- Why is Mobility as a Service the Future of On-Demand Transport?
- Start a Car Sharing or Vehicle Rental Business with Jugnoo
With the rising prevalence of on-demand, app-based services, private transportation is no longer inaccessible to people who don’t own a vehicle. Let’s look at mobility as a service and how it’s set to impact the future of on-demand transport.
Understanding Mobility as a Service
Mobility as a service, also known as transportation as a service, is a customer-oriented model of people transport. MaaS (Mobility as a Service) comprises an on-demand, real-time platform designed to meet people’s transportation needs. Popular transport options covered under mobility as a service include car and taxi rental services, car and bike-sharing, and in some cases, even train passes. Available through both apps and websites, MaaS offers patrons access to top-quality scooters, bikes, and cars for whatever duration they need with a single click.
Technology in Mobility
How we move across or within cities has been irrevocably changed by advancing technology. The rapid development of ride-sharing apps, vehicle rental platforms, and autonomous vehicles’ upcoming arrival has truly revolutionized the travel business.
Much like how streaming services provide people convenient access to TV shows and movies whenever they want, mobility as a service gives people access to a great range of transport options and makes moving around a lot more convenient. And the on-demand service business hasn’t even reached its full potential yet, and with technology continually growing, the future of on-demand transport lies squarely on MaaS.
The Mobility as a Service Problem Statement
Apart from a naturally growing reliance on technology and the growing popularity of on-demand businesses, what issue is MaaS trying to solve? The answer is pretty simple. With the world population growing rapidly and over 68% of the total population projected to live in urban areas by 2050, there’s a significant challenge coming up for governments working on developing transport infrastructure in these urban areas.
The plain truth is that no matter how well the roads are developed, there’s a finite number of vehicles that can be on those roads at a given point. Suppose mobility as a service becomes the go-to transport option for everyone. In that case, the number of vehicles on the roads will reduce drastically and the pressure to own a vehicle.
Why is Mobility as a Service the Future of On-Demand Transport?
There are many advantages to adopting mobility as a service model for transport, especially in metropolitan cities. Here’s a look at some of them:
- Asset Cost Recovery: No matter how popular mobility as a service becomes in the future, there will be people who end up buying a vehicle for various reasons. But if MaaS is implemented completely, these vehicle owners can recover their purchase cost by renting out their vehicle to vehicle rental and ride-sharing businesses. Just like you might rent out a holiday home when it’s not in use, you can rent your vehicle instead of letting it gather dust in your garage.
- Reduced Access Price: For many people, the thought of paying a fee each time they rent a fee is what stops them from giving mobility as a service a shot. When you purchase a vehicle, it’s not just the vehicle cost you have to pay but many other components, including road tax, registration, fuel, insurance, and regular servicing. These seemingly small components add up and can cost you up to $300 per week! As you can see, the cost of owning a vehicle is much higher than the cost of renting a vehicle.
- The Environment Impact: A reduced number of vehicles on the road can help keep the environment cleaner and protected. With mobility as a service, not only will the overall number of vehicles on the road be reduced, but the ones that are being used will be utilized even better. Instead of one car being used to drive one person to work, it can be used to transport 2-3 people and save both fuel and time. Better traffic management and cheaper parking are also both advantages of mobility as a service.
- Developed Public Transport: With less emphasis on road development to accommodate new vehicles, the government can instead focus on bettering their public transport infrastructure. With more people opting for mobility as a service and a reduced number of vehicles on the road, the public transport infrastructure will also be better managed.
Start a Car Sharing or Vehicle Rental Business with Jugnoo
Sold on mobility as a service model? There are many ways you can jump into the MaaS market like a taxi business, carpooling, bike rental, shuttle services, taxi marketplace, trucking service, and more. Some features that make Jugnoo the ideal partner for your mobility as a service business include:
- White-labelled branded mobile apps for your customers and drivers to enable hassle-free booking, real-time tracking, automated dispatch, and more.
- Turn-by-turn navigation, robust trip management, earnings summary, and tons of more features in the driver app to maintain a fulfillment side.
- A powerful dispatch panel with real-time fleet tracking, ride status notifications, driver performance reports, and secure authentications.
- All-in-one management dashboard packed with features like user management, dynamic pricing, geo-analytics, transaction reports, and advanced analytics.
With the increasing availability of mobility services, public and shared transportation modes will become the preferred choice for people because of the convenience on offer. Mobility as a service allows travellers and transportation businesses to deliver top-quality services with less pollution and save the environment.
Are you looking for ways to utilize Jugnoo and get on the ‘mobility as a service’ train? Get in touch with us today and learn more about how we can help you start your on-demand transport business.